There are some days when primping and preening in front of the mirror is just not an option; maybe your alarm didn’t wake you up or simply, those extra 20 minutes in bed took priority. After three years at university and a year as a teaching assistant I’ve had to master the ways to look alive even when I feel like curling up in a ball and having a pity party for one so I thought it might be an idea to share them…
1. Dry shampoo. The lazy girl’s alternative to having actual, real-life clean hair. I love this one from So…? With Attitude because it’s cheap and it doesn’t have the classic dry shampoo smell that some big brands have. It’s lightly perfumed so no-one will know you didn’t wash your hair today (or yesterday either…).
2. Concealer. This is the ultimate trick for making me look awake when I’m actually sleeping with my eyes open. I dot it in the inner corner of my eyes and blend outwards to keep any dark circles at bay. This Collection concealer is great because it doesn’t get stuck in any creases and can be worn alone without looking too heavy.
3. Mascara. The Dior Addict It Lash is a bit of a splurge but it pays off when your lashes are lengthened and there’s not a clump in sight. It’s blacker than black and the plastic wand has a little spiky bit at the end to get any corner lashes or lower lashes without leaving any transfer onto your eyelids.
4. Eyeshadow. Another more high-end product here, the Bobbi Brown Old Hollywood palette. It’s got a matte white shade that’s good for highlighting under the brow bone and in the corners of your eyes, again making everything look a little more awake. The neutral greys and browns can go along the lower and upper lash lines as an alternative to eyeliner.
5. Lip gloss / lip balm. After legging it to the bathroom to brush my teeth and check that my dry-shampooed hair is looking passable it’s time for a little sweep of colour onto my lips. BUT – it’s important to avoid glitter and sparkle if you’re aiming for a day-to-day look that says “I have made it to work on time with absolutely no trouble or extreme effort at all”. I like this Burt’s Bees lip shine because it’s 100% natural and a relatively neutral pink tone.
So, 5 products that might just help you look less like you would rather be anywhere but where you should be. Some are a little more expensive than others but let’s not forget that just because they will help you look alive for work they can all be used for a night out or a date too.
Milton Keynes welcomes the award-winning nail salon Townhouse MK
From Fitzrovia via Knightsbridge and the M1, London’s award-winning cult nail salon Townhouse is opening Townhouse MK this November. Billed to be the trendiest destinations for nails in Milton Keynes, Townhouse MK is being described as the perfect buzzy space for a catch up with your friends over a manicure.
Townhouse MK will be located in the new H Beauty by Harrods department store at Centre:MK. Featuring semi-private pedicure stations – including fun peep hatches inspired by business class flight seat dividers, marble manicure bars and chic fabrics with accents of gold.
In salon, guests will have access to Townhouse’s multi-award winning treatment menu and seasonal nail art collections, as well as Harrods exclusive designs. Treatments on offer will range from quick Express treatments for customers on the go to indulgent Luxury treats.
About Townhouse MK
Founded in 2018 by Juanita Huber-Millet, Townhouse is revolutionising nail care – not only elevating the way nails are done but reimagining the process from start to finish for the modern age – incorporating easy online bookings, impeccable hygiene standards, beautifully designed spaces and stable, rewarding careers for its employees.
This has brought acclaim far and wide – described by Marie Claire as “Hands down the best nail salon” – and multiple award wins, including being named “Best Nail Salon” at the prestigious Scratch Awards in July 2021 and the Professional Beauty & World Spa Awards in October 2021. With a cult Celeb / VIP following including biggest selling artist in history Drake, big screen actresses, Love Island stars and of course the loyal Londoner crowd – it’s no question Townhouse are the best at what they do.
Townhouse MK Address
28 Acorn Walk
Save on beauty buys this weekend with Clarins Bank Holiday offers
What better time to do some beauty shopping than a bank holiday weekend? If you didn’t find any bank holiday bargains on the high streets this weekend, don’t worry. Save on beauty buys this weekend with Clarins Bank Holiday offers from TrendLife Beauty.
Clarins Relax Treatment Oil – The go-to product for pregnant women since 1965: made from 100% pure plant extracts.
Clarins SOS Hydra Refreshing Hydration Mask – A moisturising bath for thirsty skin. This ultra-refreshing gel-cream mask helps skin find its ideal moisture level in just 10 minutes*. Deeply quenches for skin that is supple, refreshed, smooth and toned.
Clarins Hand and Nail Treatment – An invisible glove of beauty that takes care of the entire hand – the palm, the back of the hand and the nails.
Clarins Moisture-Rich Body Lotion – An expert in body care for more than 65 years, Clarins relaunches its iconic Moisture-Rich Body Lotion with its most natural and comforting formula to date.
Clarins Double Serum – A serum with cult status, enriched with 21 plant extracts with a unique hydrolipidic and biomimetic double formula to stimulate skin day after day. This multi-tasking serum does it all!
Clarins Treatment Oil – The Clarins Blue Orchid Face Treatment Oil is a targeted treatment for dehydrated skin that tones, revitalises and restores radiance to moisture-depleted skin.
Clarins Bank Holiday Getaway Offer
Planning a weekend getaway to the beach? Maybe a hotel break. Pack light with a travel sized gift from Clarins. Spend £65 and choose a Clarins travel sized gift worth up to £30. Click here to see offer.
Meet Katie Godfrey… Bedfordshire Beauty and Hair expert
Katie Godfrey is the powerhouse behind the KG brand, single-handedly building her empire from a single salon bought aged 19 as a school leaver with no qualifications, to a chain of salons, a UK-wide beauty training academy, an eyelash product range and a salon coaching business.
Katie left school at 13 after being bullied, but this only made her more determined to succeed in life. Her Bedfordshire beauty salon became a go-to destination and after being named Eyelash Technician of the Year in 2014, Katie started to rack up the awards winning 15 to date, and securing press coverage nationally including the likes of OK and Hello, as well as pampering various celebrities.
Now you’re as likely to find her judging awards as winning them – she’s co-owner of the “World Lash University” conference & awards which is partnered with “The Lash Games” at Olympia Beauty, and has her own podcast, “The Life Of KG”, aimed at those in the hair and beauty space but also relatable to anyone in business.
How Katie Godfrey expanded her brand
Going on to own a chain of franchise salons, Katie then sold these to focus on education, aiming to raise standards across salons and within the industry. She launched KG Professional, a beauty training academy which now has branches in Bedfordshire, Southampton, Gloucestershire, Derbyshire, Milton Keynes, Sussex and Essex, and an eyelash product range.
Within 6 months of launch, the eyelash range was selling into 500 salons and is now sold globally. Katie was one of the first trainers in the UK to teach Russian Volume Lashes, flying to New York to learn and then bring the techniques back.
In addition to maintaining the salon and pro businesses, Katie is a dedicated business mentor and looks after over 35 salons. She started this side business 3 years ago after being inundated by businesses coming to her for help as a result of her success story – she offers 1-2-1 and group mentoring sessions, and aims to launch the first comprehensive online business course for the hair and beauty industry imminently. She talks regularly at colleges and events about her story and is passionate about motivating others to build their careers. She is one of the authors of number 1 best-selling book, ‘Extraordinary Women’, and co-owner of “Salon Franchise,” a consultancy company in the hair & beauty industry.
Katie’s achievements are all the more impressive considering she has done this while single-handedly parenting her daughter. She is testament to the goals that can be reached with determination and hard work and is inspiring and helping many others to do the same.
Awards won by Katie Godfrey
- 3rd “Inspirational Women of the year” 2020.
- Winner “Health & Beauty Franchise of the Year 2020, Livewire Excellence Awards.
- Winner “Best Health & Beauty Clinic Franchise – South East England” 2019
- 2nd & 3rd place “World Lash University Lash awards” 2019
- Winner “Client Experience Award” 2018
- Winner “Best Beauty Salon – Bedfordshire” 2018
- Winner “LUX Salon of The Year” 2017
- Winner “Client Experience Award” 2017
- Winner “Client Experience Award” 2016
- Winner “Most Outstanding Salon of The Year” 2016
- 2nd Place “Eyelash Technician of The Year” 2016
- Winner “LUX Salon of The Year” 2015
- Winner “Fans Choice Awards” 2015
- Winner “Eyelash Technician of The Year” 2014