There are some days when primping and preening in front of the mirror is just not an option; maybe your alarm didn’t wake you up or simply, those extra 20 minutes in bed took priority. After three years at university and a year as a teaching assistant I’ve had to master the ways to look alive even when I feel like curling up in a ball and having a pity party for one so I thought it might be an idea to share them…
1. Dry shampoo. The lazy girl’s alternative to having actual, real-life clean hair. I love this one from So…? With Attitude because it’s cheap and it doesn’t have the classic dry shampoo smell that some big brands have. It’s lightly perfumed so no-one will know you didn’t wash your hair today (or yesterday either…).
2. Concealer. This is the ultimate trick for making me look awake when I’m actually sleeping with my eyes open. I dot it in the inner corner of my eyes and blend outwards to keep any dark circles at bay. This Collection concealer is great because it doesn’t get stuck in any creases and can be worn alone without looking too heavy.
3. Mascara. The Dior Addict It Lash is a bit of a splurge but it pays off when your lashes are lengthened and there’s not a clump in sight. It’s blacker than black and the plastic wand has a little spiky bit at the end to get any corner lashes or lower lashes without leaving any transfer onto your eyelids.
4. Eyeshadow. Another more high-end product here, the Bobbi Brown Old Hollywood palette. It’s got a matte white shade that’s good for highlighting under the brow bone and in the corners of your eyes, again making everything look a little more awake. The neutral greys and browns can go along the lower and upper lash lines as an alternative to eyeliner.
5. Lip gloss / lip balm. After legging it to the bathroom to brush my teeth and check that my dry-shampooed hair is looking passable it’s time for a little sweep of colour onto my lips. BUT – it’s important to avoid glitter and sparkle if you’re aiming for a day-to-day look that says “I have made it to work on time with absolutely no trouble or extreme effort at all”. I like this Burt’s Bees lip shine because it’s 100% natural and a relatively neutral pink tone.
So, 5 products that might just help you look less like you would rather be anywhere but where you should be. Some are a little more expensive than others but let’s not forget that just because they will help you look alive for work they can all be used for a night out or a date too.
Meet Katie Godfrey… Bedfordshire Beauty and Hair expert
Katie Godfrey is the powerhouse behind the KG brand, single-handedly building her empire from a single salon bought aged 19 as a school leaver with no qualifications, to a chain of salons, a UK-wide beauty training academy, an eyelash product range and a salon coaching business.
Katie left school at 13 after being bullied, but this only made her more determined to succeed in life. Her Bedfordshire beauty salon became a go-to destination and after being named Eyelash Technician of the Year in 2014, Katie started to rack up the awards winning 15 to date, and securing press coverage nationally including the likes of OK and Hello, as well as pampering various celebrities.
Now you’re as likely to find her judging awards as winning them – she’s co-owner of the “World Lash University” conference & awards which is partnered with “The Lash Games” at Olympia Beauty, and has her own podcast, “The Life Of KG”, aimed at those in the hair and beauty space but also relatable to anyone in business.
How Katie Godfrey expanded her brand
Going on to own a chain of franchise salons, Katie then sold these to focus on education, aiming to raise standards across salons and within the industry. She launched KG Professional, a beauty training academy which now has branches in Bedfordshire, Southampton, Gloucestershire, Derbyshire, Milton Keynes, Sussex and Essex, and an eyelash product range.
Within 6 months of launch, the eyelash range was selling into 500 salons and is now sold globally. Katie was one of the first trainers in the UK to teach Russian Volume Lashes, flying to New York to learn and then bring the techniques back.
In addition to maintaining the salon and pro businesses, Katie is a dedicated business mentor and looks after over 35 salons. She started this side business 3 years ago after being inundated by businesses coming to her for help as a result of her success story – she offers 1-2-1 and group mentoring sessions, and aims to launch the first comprehensive online business course for the hair and beauty industry imminently. She talks regularly at colleges and events about her story and is passionate about motivating others to build their careers. She is one of the authors of number 1 best-selling book, ‘Extraordinary Women’, and co-owner of “Salon Franchise,” a consultancy company in the hair & beauty industry.
Katie’s achievements are all the more impressive considering she has done this while single-handedly parenting her daughter. She is testament to the goals that can be reached with determination and hard work and is inspiring and helping many others to do the same.
Awards won by Katie Godfrey
- 3rd “Inspirational Women of the year” 2020.
- Winner “Health & Beauty Franchise of the Year 2020, Livewire Excellence Awards.
- Winner “Best Health & Beauty Clinic Franchise – South East England” 2019
- 2nd & 3rd place “World Lash University Lash awards” 2019
- Winner “Client Experience Award” 2018
- Winner “Best Beauty Salon – Bedfordshire” 2018
- Winner “LUX Salon of The Year” 2017
- Winner “Client Experience Award” 2017
- Winner “Client Experience Award” 2016
- Winner “Most Outstanding Salon of The Year” 2016
- 2nd Place “Eyelash Technician of The Year” 2016
- Winner “LUX Salon of The Year” 2015
- Winner “Fans Choice Awards” 2015
- Winner “Eyelash Technician of The Year” 2014
Milton Keynes welcomes new Next Beauty and Home concept store
We may have leaked some news a few weeks ago but it is now official. Fashion retailer NEXT has announced the expansion of its beauty business with the exciting news of four new ‘Beauty & Home’ stores. Milton Keynes and three other UK locations will welcome the new Next Beauty and Home concept stores. Milton Keynes’ very own Next Beauty and Home store will open its doors on Friday 2nd October, in the former Debenhams store at intu Milton Keynes Shopping Centre.
Next Beauty and Home
As well as selling clothing and home furnishing, NEXT currently sells over 250 beauty brands on next.co.uk. Following on from a successful online collaboration of Fabled by Marie Claire, which launched Beauty on next.co.uk in October 2018, Next has been interested in expanding the brand into the beauty world.
The aim of the new concept stores is to create a premium retail environment for beauty products, to complement the offer NEXT already carries online. Alongside this, NEXT’s well-loved Home and Lingerie collections will also be available within the new stores; which will further expand the lifestyle offer available to Next customers in Buckinghamshire.
The Milton Keynes Store will stock premium brands including; Armani Beauty, Bare Minerals, Benefit, Clarins, Clinique, Estee Lauder, GHD, Lancome, MAC, Origins, Too Faced, Urban Decay, and YSL. The store will also offer a range of premium beauty services in-store.
Simon Wolfson, NEXT’s Chief Executive said: “This is an exciting opportunity to work with existing and new beauty brand partners to create a new force in beauty retailing – bringing our Online business to life through premium store environments in some of the UK’s most important retail locations.”
Next – A High Street innovator
British clothing retailer Next is used to launching new concepts. After opening its first Next Store in 1982, Next launched ‘Next for Men‘ in 1984. One year later saw the launch of their first home interiors range. 1987 brought the birth of NEXT childrenswear. 1988 was the launch of NEXT Directory – the brand’s innovative new concept for in-home shopping. Next has always been an innovator and the launch of Next Beauty and Home could be the much needed retail therapy we need in these testing times.
Where can I find Next Beauty and Home?
The new Next Beauty and Home Milton Keynes store will be located at Intu, Milton Keynes Shopping Centre, 38 Midsummer Blvd Milton Keynes, MK9 3GA. Opening hours for Next Beauty and Home Milton Keynes will be shared when available. intu Milton Keynes Shopping Centre is currently in the process of rebranding.
*NEXT is working with its Retail teams and brand partners to open the stores with social distancing guidelines and procedures that are safe for customers and colleagues.
Smile with a free teeth whitening makeover from Church Road Dental
Welwyn Garden City’s Church Road Dental are giving our lucky readers the chance to win a dazzling free teeth whitening makeover worth over £400.
What is tooth whitening ?
Tooth whitening can be a very effective way of lightening the natural colour of your teeth without removing any of the tooth surface. It cannot make a complete colour change, but it may lighten the existing shade.
Deep Bleaching works by increasing the tooth’s permeability to oxygen which breaks down stain molecules. It is a combination treatment meaning that there is a 2 week home treatment followed by 1 hour visit at the dentist (optional).
Teeth are stained by the foods and drinks we consume. Smoking further stains teeth and the natural bright, white shade becomes darkened. Teeth whitening is a successful and simple method of lightening the colour of your teeth. The degree of whiteness achieved will vary from patient to patient and with the type of bleaching process chosen.
What are the benefits tooth whitening ?
One of the benefits of tooth whitened is an improvement in general self esteem, making us happier and more content.
Over time our teeth may become discoloured by certain foods that we eat, drinking coffee or red wine, smoking, and how well we brush and floss. Whitening can help by producing a younger looking effect. If we’re not embarrassed by or conscious of our teeth, we smile naturally and confidently. Smiling has been shown to improve mood by triggering the production of endorphins.
Dental professionals have noticed that patients who’ve had their teeth whitened tend to show an improvement in their oral health care routine. Experiencing the advantages of whiter teeth often leads us to take good care when brushing, flossing, and seeing our dentist for professional cleanings. Since good oral health can improve your overall health and prevent many diseases, this is by far the most important reason to consider teeth whitening.
How do I enter the competition ?
For a chance to win, follow or like Church Road Dental on Instgram or Facebook. Then share their teeth whitening post and tag TWO friends. More information is available upon request from Church Road Dental.
About Church Road Dental
Church Road Dental provide excellent dental care in a safe and relaxing environment. Their team of dentists, nurses, hygienists and technicians provide all the treatment and advice that patients need to achieve a healthy, beautiful smile! Church Road Dental is located at 4A Church Road, Welwyn Garden City.